{MOPS Craft} DIY I Spy Bags

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

This adorable I Spy Bag is sure to keep little hands busy! 

 

DIY I Spy Bag Tutorial - terrazacreative.com
 
One of our most popular crafts at MOPS this year was this fun 'I Spy Bag". We prepped everything ahead of time so all the ladies had to do was fill their bag with little trinkets and poly pellets. A few crafty moms brought their sewing machines to help sew the opening of the bags closed.
To learn how to make your own I Spy Bag, follow my tutorial here.


DIY I Spy Bag Supplies - terrazacreative.com

I Spy Bag Supplies:

  • 1/2 cup of poly beads
  • 7.5" of 1/4" ribbon
  • (2) 5" x 5" cut pieces of fabric
  • (1) 2.75" x 5.5" clear vinyl
  • (1) 2.75" x 2.75" clear vinyl
  • (1) 2" x 2" paper square for window cut-out
  • water soluble fabric marker
  • clear tape
  • (16) trinkets of your choice

 

Assembly Instructions:

Center your paper square pattern on top of one fabric piece and trace around square (#1). Cut an "x" inside the square up to the inside corners (#2) and fold cut fabric towards wrong side of fabric. Place 2.75" x 2.75" vinyl square on top of folds and secure to fabric with tape for sewing (#3). This will make viewing window for the bag. Since the vinyl is clear it may not show up in all these pictures, but it's there!

I Spy Bag Tutorial - terrazacreative.com

Sew a zigzag stitch on the right side of fabric through the clear vinyl and edge of fabric (#4). 

I Spy Bag Tutorial - terrazacreative.com

Pin right sides together of the two 5" x 5" fabric pieces (#5). Leaving an 1 1/2" opening, begin stitching around fabric with an 1/4" seam allowance, remembering to reinforce your stitches at the beginning and end your opening (#6). Clip corners and turn inside out through opening. Use a bone folder or other pointy object to sharpen corners (#7).

I Spy Bag Tutorial - terrazacreative.com

To make the tag attachment:
Fold the 2.75" x 5.5" piece of vinyl in half and insert one end of your ribbon in between the fold, about 1/4". Beginning at the top right of the vinyl opening, top stitch with an 1/8" seam allowance along sides securing the ribbon (#8). Be sure to reinforce the stitches over the ribbon a few times to secure it in place. Pin the other end of the ribbon through the bottom of the 1 1/2" opening of the bag (#9). Beginning at the bottom of the opening, top stitch over the ribbon and around the bag with an 1/8" seam allowance, stopping just at the top of the opening (#10).

I Spy Bag Tutorial - terrazacreative.com

You're almost finished! Using a funnel, fill the bag with about 1/2 cup of poly beads (#11). Now, the fun part. Placing all those little trinkets in the bag (#12)! I had my 3 year old daughter get in on this activity. She enjoyed choosing what she wanted to put in the bag and "patting" it down after each insert. When you have all your trinkets inside the bag, (I used 16) it's time to sew it closed. All you need to do is complete that top stitch you did around the bag, making sure to reinforce your stitches at the begining and end of the opening (#13).


Lastly, make up a list everything inside the bag. Sometimes even those with the best memories can forget what we put inside! To download the free printable of the blank list I created, click here
 
 I Spy Bag List - Free printable and tutorial at terrazacreative.com 

Now you're ready to pass on the I Spy Bag to curious little hands to explore. This is a great toy to save for car rides or visits to the grocery store!

No comments:

Post a Comment